What to do when your home isn't SAFE

Obtaining Protective Orders and Peace Orders:

*Information from the Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence (MNADV) brochure.

No One Has the Right to Harm You

Plan for your Safety:

If you are being hurt by a spouse, partner, or family member, assistance is available to help protect yourself and your children.

  • Call the Police (911) if you feel you are in danger or need immediate help. The police records of the call can also support your case if it goes to court.
  • Contact your local domestic violence program. They can give you information about the law, shelters, counseling, legal help, and more ways to keep you safe.
  • Arrange a signal with a neighbor, friend, or co-worker to let them know when you need help.
  • Leave the home if it is unsafe for you to remain there. Seek shelter with a friend or relative, or at a domestic violence program.
  • Prepare an emergency get-away kit for you and your children with money, keys, a change of clothes, and important papers (such as ID card or driver's license, birth certificate, social security cards, passport, health records, and school records). Keep these in a safe place where your abuser won't find them in case you need to leave in a hurry. Get medical attention if you think you have been injured. Medical records may also be helpful for documenting your case if it goes to court.
  • Get a Protective Order or a Peace Order. These are court orders you can get without the help of a lawyer, which restrict the abuser's behavior and may grant certain rights to you, to make you safer. Someone who violates a Protective Order or Peace Order may be arrested or found in contempt of court.